Personal Computer Connectivity Policy
The Personal Computer Connectivity (PCC) policy describes the services LTS Help Desk technicians can provide for students, faculty, and staff belonging to the York College of Pennsylvania community.
The LTS Help Desk technicians are a limited resource that should stay focused on the assets of York College. The primary purpose of the PCC team is to safely connect personal computing devices to the York College network.
This policy applies to non-college owned personal computing devices such as computers, laptops, peripherals, tablets, PDA devices, and smart phones belonging to the York College of Pennsylvania faculty, staff, and students. Personal device problems capable of being troubleshooted include: connectivity issues; eradication of spyware, adware, and virus infections; critical system file and software updates; any other issues approved by an LTS Help Desk Administrator.
No IT Help Desk technician will accept or work on any non-college owned personal computing device prior to receiving the signed Personal Computer Connectivity Liability Waiver.
- Faculty, staff, and students belonging to the York College community may contact the LTS Help Desk for first-tier troubleshooting and diagnosis.
- All personal device owners must grant the LTS Help desk permission to work on their personal computing devices by submitting a form stating their acknowledgement and understanding of the PCC Policy.
- LTS Help Desk technicians will not accept or agree to work on any personal device prior to having the device owner acknowledge and sign the Personal Computer Connectivity Liability Waiver.
- LTS Help Desk technicians will not agree to work on any personal computing device prior to completing PCC Training and Orientation.
- LTS Help Desk technicians will attempt to safely connect personal computing devices to the York College network. While attempting to connect the device, the following issues may also be troubleshooted:
- Eradicate spyware, adware, and virus infections
- Update critical system files and other software
- The LTS Help Desk cannot order, provide, or accept replacement parts for personal devices.
- The LTS Help Desk cannot backup or recover data with the exception of extreme cases relating to academic work as deemed necessary by an LTS Help Desk Administrator.
- Personal devices must stay within the presence of the device owner at all times unless otherwise approved by a LTS Help Desk administrator.
- Any device approved for Long-term PCC support by an LTS Help Desk Administrator, must accompany the Long-term PCC form.
- Issues beyond the scope of the personal device support services may only worked on by a LTS Help Desk member following the approval of a IT Help Desk Administrator.
- The LTS Help Desk does not support personal printers or scanners.
- LTS Help Desk technicians will not be sent to faculty, staff, or student homes. Dorm room visits may be scheduled for students experiencing connectivity issues with their desktop devices.
- Issues beyond the scope of personal device support services may result in referring the device owner to an outside source or vendor.