Deciding if VidGrid Meet Your Needs
VidGrid has many options for creating and sharing video. You will be able to to:
- Create screen recordings, with or without your webcam
- Create webcam-only recordings
- Students create screen captures or video recording and submit them as an assignments
- Meet ADA compliance and Universal Design for Learning recommendations
- Edit out mistakes from content that is Uploaded to VidGrid
- Share your content with an entire class using LMS connections or a direct link
- Share your content with individual users
- Easily update content shared in multiple places without the need to track them all down
- To access VidGrid go to the VidGrid webpage.
- Click the Login button in the top right corner of the screen.
- Click the Enterprise Login button at the bottom of the Log in screen (Figure 1).
- You will log in using your YCP email address and network password.
- Welcome to VidGrid (Download the recorder, Recording a Video, and Sharing it out)
- Recording a Video
- Editing Videos
- Uploading Video/Audio Files
- The My Grid Menu
- Adding Captions
- Video Folders
- Recording in Moodle
- Recording in Canvas
- Recording Powerpoint Presentations
- Additional General information
YCP Specific Resources
Suggestions for better videos
- Keep it short and simple (KISS)
- Content should be delivered in brief and digestible bites
- Screenshots, GIFs, or Video's
- Screenshots are good for a single step - a "click here moment"
- GIFs are good for 1-3 steps - a "click and scroll moment"
- Videos are for more technical or communication heavy needs.
- What do you need?
- Quiet Room - extra noise in the background can distract your listener
- Computer and ilos
- If not part of your system a microphone
- Plan ahead -make a bullet point "script" to remind you of key point and to make sure you have all visuals ready
- Don't ramble or your message will be lost. The video is a concise record of the information.
- Be kind to yourself. Unless you really like edits try not to worry about minor errors
For video, accessibility generally starts with captioning the content. Having access to ADA compliant, human-generated captioning through VidGrid offers a benefit to students in receiving a consistent, high quality captioning experience that is difficult to achieve without dedicated captioners.
Captions can be easily requested inside VidGrid, but you must consider the placement of the captions while you are creating your content. The types of content most often impacted are screen captures and narrated PowerPoints.
As you create your content, make sure to leave room at the bottom of your video for the captions. To meet ADA requirements, the captions cannot overlay other text or crucial visual information.